Flirts..More likely to cheat?

Do you have questions about an existing relationship ?

Moderators: Cali42, SingingGirl

Flirts..More likely to cheat?

Postby Wiseman2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Ever know someone in a relation who flirts incessantly to the point where you wonder if they are coming onto you?
Last edited by Wiseman2 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseman2
Veteran

Re: Flirts..More likely to cheat?

Postby richey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:04 pm

oh yeah. tons of times.

I don't think level of flirting will have a strong correlation to cheating however (unless you want to talk about reverse correlation).
I tend to think the ones that keep talking about it ~ are probably the ones least likely to do it.

Richey
Richey
You're actions are so loud, I can't hear what you are saying
richey
Veteran

Postby chawks64 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm

I think it's irrelevant.

I know some people that do it because that's just their personality (like me) and would never dream of cheating.

On the other hand, I know some that do it on the off chance that someone will take them up on it. Never hurts to ask...

But there are plenty of people that don't flirt and still cheat, others that don't.

Flirting is more about personality than your personal ethics with regard to monogamy.
chawks64
Veteran

Postby D_Lion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

I dunno.

I've had a few women over the years, at work, who got flirty. I would learn later they cheat, so if a person is getting flirty I do wonder if they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Some women like attention, or milking the free dinners, as well, but couldn't - and, possibly, wouldn't, seal the deal they peddled.

I try to limit my flirting to when I am single, so I am free to move if opportunity knocks.
D_Lion
Sage

Postby Cali42 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:05 pm

I do think to what degree, how far someone takes flirting can make a difference. There can be the perfect storm of flirting to hot and heavy, maybe having a difficult time w/their partner, opportunity, attraction, someone else pushing it further. It would probably not be a plan, but things can slowly build. On the matter of attraction, we all notice good looking people, if there is a lot Of attraction that could be a problem.

Many people can innocently flirt, but intention, the vibe being sent, attraction, the person receiving the flirtatious remarks make a difference.

I do flirt and sometimes don't realize my being friendly can be perceived as flirting by some men. However, taken men are off limits.
Cali42
ODA Forum Host

Postby Jawja » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm

It happens a lot. The more powerful they are in their career, the more confident they are, and the more they feel they can flirt with me.

I have a flirtatious personality and can dish it right back. As a woman, I find often, I am the one that has to draw the line. Though, I admit I use flirtation to close business deals, get out of a speeding ticket, and when there is something I simply do not want to do. For example pump gas because of the smell it leaves on my hands.

((Great way to meet men, too, both the flirting and the asking for help at the gas pump since I don't want to mess up my manicure ;) ))

Wiseman2 wrote:Ever know someone in a relation who flirts incessantly to the point where you wonder if they are coming onto you?
Jawja
Virtuoso

Postby Jawja » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 am

Part 2--Cheating

Nope...never.

I believe if you love someone you set them free,
If they are yours they will come back,
If not, you hunt them down.

....And he will NEVER leave the home again with any energy.

Actually in this area there is a posse of women that keep all skinny bone, Clorox bleach, carb puking, gold diggers out of town. One thing the first wives and the trophy wives have in common is their investment in their men.
Jawja
Virtuoso

Postby Wiseman2 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 am

This is an excellent point...There's being friendly, flattering, etc. in and of itself....then there's eyes and options open ....just in case.
And as mentioned this friendliness /flirting can be a slippery slope if the recipient takes it as being open to more.

Affairs and cheating start somewhere....is flirting where it starts?

Cali42 wrote:I do think to what degree, how far someone takes flirting can make a difference. There can be the perfect storm of flirting to hot and heavy, maybe having a difficult time w/their partner, opportunity, attraction, someone else pushing it further. It would probably not be a plan, but things can slowly build. On the matter of attraction, we all notice good looking people, if there is a lot Of attraction that could be a problem.
Wiseman2
Veteran

Postby JimmyH452 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:12 am

sometimes people confuse flirting with simply being nice and personable.

For cases of real flirting though, I'd dump any woman in a heartbeat if she was actually flirting with other guys. To me, it's already cheating...you're giving someone other than me sexually suggestive attention. That's not something I'd ever tolerate. To me such a woman must be so pathetically insecure in the first place that she needs to try to constantly get attention and affirmation of her level of attractiveness from other men that I couldn't imagine there'd be enough redeeming attributes of her personality to make up for it. I find flirting with no intention of going to the next level to be petty, immature and often manipulative behavior. Most women who "flirt" by aren't really interested in the poor schmuck are usually trying to get something from him (trying to get out of a ticket is one overly cliche example).
JimmyH452
Virtuoso

Postby Wiseman2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:15 am

Agree....But what about unseen flirting ...online or girls /boys night out etc?
JimmyH452 wrote:sometimes people confuse flirting with simply being nice and personable.
For cases of real flirting though, I'd dump any woman in a heartbeat if she was actually flirting with other guys. To me, it's already cheating...you're giving someone other than me sexually suggestive attention. That's not something I'd ever tolerate. To me such a woman must be so pathetically insecure in the first place that she needs to try to constantly get attention and affirmation of her level of attractiveness from other men that I couldn't imagine there'd be enough redeeming attributes of her personality to make up for it. I find flirting with no intention of going to the next level to be petty, immature and often manipulative behavior. Most women who "flirt" by aren't really interested in the poor schmuck are usually trying to get something from him (trying to get out of a ticket is one overly cliche example).
Wiseman2
Veteran

Postby legend29 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 pm

I flirt all the time...it gets me what I want!... :twisted:

But, I would never flirt while in a relationship. That's just disrespectful...and if I were ever with a man who flirted while in a relationship with me, that would be a huge red flag.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
legend29
Veteran

Postby RED » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm a born flirt, but I don't cheat-ever. My guy always knows that even if I am being flirtatious, he is the one who will benefit and there is a line I won't cross. He knows me and my nature. With him, I am very touchy feely, with others, not so much- but still flirty by nature when it comes to words. I don't act differently in front of him than I would if he weren't there so he knows exactly how I am at all times. He enjoys my antics because I don't push the limits to excess.
Life isn't about the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away...
RED
Site Admin

Postby Wiseman2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:32 am

He he may view it as your friendly personality...not a chance to "shop around"...which he knows about you.

RED wrote:I'm a born flirt, but I don't cheat-ever. My guy always knows that even if I am being flirtatious, he is the one who will benefit and there is a line I won't cross. He knows me and my nature. With him, I am very touchy feely, with others, not so much- but still flirty by nature when it comes to words. I don't act differently in front of him than I would if he weren't there so he knows exactly how I am at all times. He enjoys my antics because I don't push the limits to excess.
Wiseman2
Veteran

Postby Honeycomb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I flirt with every guy I meet. I would never cheat. So the answer is no, not more likely.
Honeycomb

Postby SingingGirl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 am

RED wrote:I'm a born flirt, but I don't cheat-ever. My guy always knows that even if I am being flirtatious, he is the one who will benefit and there is a line I won't cross. He knows me and my nature. With him, I am very touchy feely, with others, not so much- but still flirty by nature when it comes to words. I don't act differently in front of him than I would if he weren't there so he knows exactly how I am at all times. He enjoys my antics because I don't push the limits to excess.

This ^^^ describes me very well. I'm friendly and flirty with most everyone. It is the kind of personality that serves me well in business, too, because I'm good at making people feel welcome. I've never had a man who had a problem with my behavior, perhaps because they know I have strict boundaries of how far I will go and where my line is. Like Red says, I'm very touchy-feely with my man but really not at all with others. And probably, most importantly, I'm exactly the same in front of him that I am when he isn't around. But there is one absolute for me--I don't cheat. I have no interest in going there. Period.
A scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. A scar does not form on the dying. A scar means "I survived." --Cleave
SingingGirl
ODA Forum Host

Postby RED » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Wiseman2 wrote:He he may view it as your friendly personality...not a chance to "shop around"...which he knows about you.

Exactly! He know that just because I've already ordered my main course, it doesn't mean I still want to peruse the menu for other options or dessert...
Life isn't about the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away...
RED
Site Admin

Postby Wiseman2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Would you dump someone who was always flirting in front of you?
What about at work or online....and saw it on FB?....Harmless fun or creeping toward something?
legend29 wrote:I flirt all the time...it gets me what I want!... :twisted:
But, I would never flirt while in a relationship. That's just disrespectful...and if I were ever with a man who flirted while in a relationship with me, that would be a huge red flag.
Wiseman2
Veteran

Return to Relationship Advice